rapture

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

"The simulacra is never that which conceals the truth- it is the truth which conceals that there is none.
The simulacrum is true."
(Ecclesiastes)

That's an epigraph- a quote you write before an essay or paper. My prof was going through it today in lecture and this si one of the most thought-stimulating pieces I've ever done for this module. The simulacrum is in essence, a simulation of the original. Thus, it is not the original so it conceals the truth because you look at the simulation rather than the actualy object. Yet it is true because it is a simulation of something that is non-existent and so "there is none". Therefore, the simulation is the truth.

Ecclesiastes is a book in the Old Testament of the Bible. But did it actually say anything like that? No, not in the English version, in any of the versions, nor Hebrew nor Greek. Simply because this whole epigraph is a simulacra. Jean Baudrillard is a man who thinks too much.

I can't believe I've got to learn such things for cultural studies. So much for enjoying all the time watching movies like Dawn of the Dead and reading Superman comics and listening to music and all sorts of media flicks.

***

If simulation is the truth, then dissimulation is a lie.

***

"Everything I say is a lie."

That's my favourite line of the day. If everything I say is a lie, then that's a truth. And because I'm telling the truth while saying that everything that I say is a lie, then I am lying. Which is true. And so you will be caught like a pendulum, swinging between both ends because you can never know which is the truth, and which is falsity.

***
I am getting exhausted from having insufficient rest. And I refuse to let myself rest when I need to study. Is there something wrong with me? Somebody psychoanalyse me please. And the sudden entrance to town after 3 months and 1 week have proved to be too much for this poor soul. I need retail therapy because there's a lot of things out there that I want, and I want 'em bad!
Oh yes. Christmas party. Winnie will make sandwich rolls, not log cakes. It's a simulacra of log cakes but much easier to make. I'm telling the truth.