rapture

Friday, February 27, 2004

How Sashimi and Wasabi originated.

The story of the birth of two great desires of the world... Sashimingjun and Wasabiao.

A lonely couple lived in a tiny hut facing a beautiful valley surrounded by plush green fields. They lived a great distance from the city, and every day they had to gather water and fish from the nearby lake for consumption's sake. They eat their fish raw, as they could not start a fire, not because they didnt know how, but there were no trees or branches around the area. And they had finished chopping their wooden toilet down.

One day, SaSa, the wife went down to the lake to fish, and to her amazement she spotted some leafy plants protruding from the bottom of the lake. She grasped a bunch of leaves firmly and pulled, and out came a cute looking veggie thinggy which looked delicious. (Of course, any single shit thing would look delicious if you eat raw fish every day for 50 years..) Out of excitement and probably a little stupidity she took a bite, and at that instant an atomic warhead exploded in her mouth. She tried to extinguish the fiery sensation by swallowing every single fish she caught whole. To her surprise she realised that the taste of the fishes were different.

She rushed back to the hut and told her husband, Wawa, the good news.
Sasa: "Look Wawa, i found this veggie that changed the taste of the fish i ate!"
Wawa: "What is that oddly shaped thing, Sasa? Is it still alive?"
Sasa: "A veggie is not an animal, Wawa."
Wawa: "Oh. Ok. I knew that. So, it's dead right?"
Sasa: "...."

The following days Sasa started to grind the plant into a mushy green paste, and spread it over their raw fish for every meal. They never tasted such delicious fish in 50 years.

During dinnertime one day, Wawa asked Sasa what she would call the name of their delicious new raw fish recipe.
Sasa: "I'll call it Sa-fish! I created it! I, I, I!!"
Wawa: "Simi? (Meaning 'What' in Singaporean dialect)"
Sasa: "What word is that again?"
Wawa: "Simi. I have weird dreams about Singapore. Sprouting all that alien nonsense."
Sasa: "Ok then. The new dish will be called... SASIMI!"
Wawa: "Put an 'H' between the 'S' and 'I'. It sounds nicer that way."
Sasa: "Rite......"

And Sashimi was founded.

Wawa: "What about the green paste? It deserves a name too."
Sasa: "Hmmm...Sa..Sa something."
"Dont be self centred. What about me?"
"Fine..Wasa...Wasa something...cant seem to think of anything."

At the blink of an eye, a bee flew into the hut. Light bulbs lit immediately...

And hence Wasabi was founded.